Simplicity is an essential trait for any safety system.
ABB Jokab's Pluto Safety PLCs understand the risks associated with adding complexity to a system, and have thus come up with a wonderful scheme of operation. The Pluto All-Supervisor Safety PLC concept is a simple, practical and safe operating scheme that can remove the conventional supervisor-subordinate scheme and transform it to a all-supervisor one.
This means all units can see each other inputs and outputs without any hassle, and immediate decisions can be made based on these values. The concept not only simplifies core operation but improves communication as well, while keeping interoperability alive. (Modbus TCP, Ethernet/IP, CANopen, Profibus DP are all supported).
Here’s an overview of the features:
- A safety PLC designed for each part of the system
- Modular approach and flexibility inbuilt
- Allows connection of 10 sensors in series to one input
- Comprehensive software manager
- Custom made safety buses
Pluto Safety PLCs are able to host multiple safety sensors to a single input, while keeping the speed and safety of operation constant. The PLCs are able to handle all kinds of input functions thanks to the comprehensive supplementary software provided, i.e. Pluto Manger. All failsafe components including inputs are included within the relay. In fact, the user has the option to use a number of terminals as failsafe inputs or non-failsafe outputs.
Connectivity is highly efficient as Pluto models can perform bus communications with 32 Pluto units and therefore control huge safety systems. The size of the system does not matter, thanks to the stand-alone units that do not rely on bus communication with other Pluto gateways.
Common applications of Pluto Safety PLCs:
- Emergency stops
- 3-Position devices
- Safety mats
- Light curtains and beams
- Logic functions
- Speed monitoring functions
- Contact strips
All indicators, buttons or electrically controlled actuators are easily and safely controllable through Pluto Safety PLCs. The device itself has been heavily tested, making sure it meets all requirements (i.e. EN 954-1/EN ISO 13849-1 Category 4, PL e, EN 61496-1 Type 4, EN 61508 SIL 3).
Pluto’s technical strengths include:
- Dynamic signal: Pluto transmits square waves, evaluates the signal and checks the redundancy as well. The PLCs are capable of generating 3 unique dynamic signals.
- Static signal: In retrospect, static signals can be connected to all inputs on a Pluto PLC, all determined through Pluto Manager.
- Individual Failsafe Inputs & Non-failsafe Outputs: The IQ terminals can be used as failsafe inputs or non-failsafe outputs, all at the same time, allowing you to use reset buttons to reduce the overall number of terminals used.
- Transistor Outputs: Much like the relay outputs, the transistor outputs provide -24VDC for controlling electromechanical components like contacts & valves.
- Pluto-Bus: The PLCs communicate through Pluto-Bus which is built on top of CAN-bus, capable of travelling for 600m straight and transmitting data at 400Kb/sec.
The Pluto Safety PLC has several models, each varying the number of I/O, failsafe relays, etc. The following table provides additional information.
Interested in learning more?
You may also be interested in reading: